Monday, April 26, 2010

Reinventing ourselves in a vacuum

A friend told me a couple years ago that it is easier to give birth to something new than to reinvigorate something that is dysfunctional. He had quit his successful film career to move to Africa and work with the people building fish farms. When he and his wife arrived he was told that it had already been tried and didn't work. My friend does not listen to discouragement and set about building the farms anyhow. And within just a couple of years the farms were not only producing food but providing substantial incomes for the local people as well. Presidents of countries began seeking him out to do the same in their countries. His initial premise proved to be true in nearly every aspect. It is easier to start a new work than to reinvigorate that which is dying.

I am a commercial photographer. In March 2011, I celebrated my 31th year of shooting under my own studio name. Like so many others, I dedicated myself to shooting great photography for industry, corporations and advertising. I have shot for some truly wonderful and talented people over those years. Together we have created campaigns and imaging that brings the corporate world into other peoples homes and offices so they take notice.

The last 10 years have brought very challenging and difficult times on professional commercial photography. Marketing isn't done the same way it was even 10 years ago. Images are definitely not created and produced the same way. Gone are the darkrooms, the chemistry trays and tanks, the fancy studios and the big budgets. But in their place is a completely new range of tools and capabilities that sets a good photographer to anxious anticipation. And so too the art directors and creative directors of agencies and publishers.

I can tell you this much: It is the learning and experimenting part of this business that I love best. When I first started out years ago, I had so much to learn, and my portfolio was awful. Today, I have a portfolio most people admire, but the industry climate has changed so that the challenge of learning and experimenting is still very real and exciting.

And yet it all boils down to people and relationships. That is the same and will always be! I love people, I enjoy building good relationships and I still like delivering jobs to clients and having them call me to say that there is so much to choose from it is hard to make a decision.

There are some things you don't reinvent. There are some things best not changed at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment