Friday, August 17, 2012

You are never too young to learn!
   When I first started out in 1980, I did a folio show to an art director at a big name agency.  After reviewing my work, he turned to me and said there was nothing in my work that would make him want to use me, telling me it was amateurish and lacked talent and presentation.  Then he asked me if I was willing to work, which I said 'yes.'  We went back into his office where he showed me several examples of photographs he had recently been using, and then suggested that I do several self-assignments where I pushed myself way beyond what I had presented.  He promised he would meet with me again if I would do that and give me further critique to help me.  Best help I ever received and I took him up on it. 
    Today, I often work as a photo editor on book projects with young photographers who think they are 'all that'.  If I ask them to shoot something differently, they take great offense like I don't know what I am doing, though I have been shooting professionally longer than they have been alive.  I really do enjoy working with young people trying to develop themselves.  Most do not want criticism, but when I meet someone who is willing to work and take some direction, I am willing to pursue them and give them assignments.  This month, I finished a book project where one photographer kept submitting images processed through HDR after I had told him repeatedly they didn't fit with what we were doing, and each time he was greatly offended.  Of 140 photographs in the book, I used only 3, and one of them I reduced to smaller than a business card.  I had a young woman who came in and took my direction and even several times reshot an image to reflect the book direction.  She got probably about 40 full pages of her images.  And she was a delight to work with even bringing many suggestions and ideas to me which I usually used.
   Bottom line, pay attention photogs.  LISTEN and learn.  You don't know everything but there are many editors out there willing to help those who are willing to learn and be stretched.

No comments:

Post a Comment